You are here

No IDs yet as three bodies recovered

Central fishermen missing but...
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Unidentified relatives of fishermen Kasinath and Ravi Ramsaran show their grief as they await the retrieval of a body of one of the men at the fisheries depot, Sea Lots, yesterday evening. PHOTO: MARCUS GONZALES

The bodies of three men, believed to be that of three Central fishermen, reported missing on Wednesday, were recovered yesterday in waters off Port-of-Spain and Chaguaramas. Kasinath Ramsaran, 31, and his brother Ravi, 26, of Cacandee Road, Felicity, and Praim Squires, 45, of Longdenville, left Tuesday night on a one-night fishing expedition in the Gulf of Paria. Relatives became worried when they did not return on Wednesday night and contacted the police and Coast Guard. On Thursday, their pirogue was recovered off the coast of Point Fortin, minus engines, fishing equipment and their personal effects.

Police said at around 7 am yesterday they received reports of bodies floating near the National Fisheries Compound, Sea Lots, Port-of-Spain. The Coast Guard was contacted and with the assistance of a police helicopter and several civilian vessels they  searched for the bodies. After several hours of unsuccessful searching, the officers returned to shore, believing the bodies had been swept away by currents. At around 1 pm, police received another report and when they and Coast Guard officers responded they recovered the first body two miles from the Port-of-Spain Waterfront Complex.

It was taken by a Coast Guard vessel to the National Fisheries compound, Sea Lots, where it was pulled ashore. While police were attempting to pull the first body to the shore, they received reports that two other bodies had been sighted by a civilian vessel off Carenage. With the aid of that vessel those bodies were taken to the Chaguaramas heliport. Detectives said they could not determine if there were any marks of violence on them as they were in advanced stages of decomposition.

The bodies were taken to the Forensic Sciences Centre, St James, where post-mortems will be conducted on Monday. Homicide detectives and crime scene investigators were on the scene up to late last night where the first body was pulled ashore. Coast Guard officer Cornelius Caldwell and officers attached to Coast Guard headquarters, Staubles Bay, assisted in the recovery of that body. Acting Superintendent Tommy Saroda, Inspector Sahadeo Singh, Cpl Charles Budrie are continuing investigations.

Up to late yesterday, Kasinath Ramsaran’s wife, Neisha Martinez, was awaiting word from the police on the identities of the bodies recovered. She spent yesterday morning at the Besson Street Police Station after investigators said fishermen had spotted two bodies in the waters off Sea Lots. Baby Ragbir, sister of the Ramsarans, said there had been numerous reports of bodies being spotted off Claxton Bay, Carli Bay and near the cremation site. She said the men were used to travel along the river near the cremation site and never had any difficulties.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.