You are here

Archdeacon at Ashdale’s funeral:too predominant

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Trust issues and the cancer of hate is predominant among the people of T&T. And it is believed that this was the perfect example which led to the circumstances leading to the death of “vigilante” victim Ashdale Mc Hutchinson. Officiating priest at the Good Shepherd Anglican Church in Tunapuna, Archdeacon North, The Venerable Kenley Baldeo, in his homily during Mc Hutchinson’s funeral service yesterday said citizens of T&T are “living in a society that is on the edge” and “where the innocent pays for the guilty and the guilty seems to walk free.” He said, “A society that is on edge where it is difficult to seem to be able to trust anyone. We are living in a society today where the cancer of hate stands too predominant within our people and it is to a large extent that that incident would have happened to Ashdale,” Baldeo said. Baldeo said the truth may never be told in Mc Hutchinson’s case but re-assured the grieving family and friends that “there is one who dies not sleep and whose eyes run to and fro, who understands what we do not understand, one who knows what we do not know and one whose judgment is on time.”“Our society today is falling apart faster than morning turns from night…we need to get back to the ole time days where value and morals existed,” he added. Mc Hutchinson’s sister, Anika who delivered a very emotional eulogy, defending her brother’s good name lamented that “not one resident at Oropune stood up for my brother while he was being robbed and beaten.” An unidentified woman, who gave her contribution during the “open floor” segment, said she knew Mc Hutchinson from a baby growing up and knew about his genuine love for children and everyone around him.

“I asked him one time since you love children so much why don’t you have as your own…he said to me ‘I don’t need too I have lots of children around and everybody is my family... That was the type of person Ashdale was! He loved all and gave all he had to all.” On May 30, Mc Hutchinson, 47, was accused of attempting to lure a five-year-old girl away from a nearby playground.

He was chased after by Oropune residents and attempted to hide in some bushes, but the residents lit the bushes on fire causing him to run out. He was then held, badly beaten and hog-tied. Parts of the incident were recorded via cell phones and shared on social media. Mc Hutchinson, 49, died at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, at about 11 am on Sunday, having never regained consciousness. Following his death, residents expressed regret, remorse and sadness over his death and the circumstances.Investigations are continuing.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.